Daybreak's Fun Run
My name is Ryan Rushton.
I have worked for Midcounties Co-operative for over 6 years now working in the Energy
sector of the business. Another role I undertake within the Society is as a Regional
Ambassador for our Kidlington and North West Oxford Regional Community Group.
The group works with fellow colleagues and ‘Active Members’ to carry out volunteer work,
fundraising for our local charity partner, distribute grant funding to local community
groups and working closely to and supporting the local community.
Running for a local cause
Last month Midcounties Co-operative (Kidlington & North West Oxford Regional Community Group)
volunteered to help at the Daybreak Oxford 5k Fun Run. This is the only community running event in
Kidlington and is designed to encourage and inspire all ages to try a running race. The fun run
is for adults and older children together with a 1km run for all the family, the venue was at the
Stratfield Brake Sports Ground and the event was really well organised by the Daybreak team,
the event raised over £700 for this great cause.
A little encouragement along the way.
Three day centres in Oxfordshire
Daybreak runs three day centres, or Clubs, in Oxfordshire providing care and support to help
people live well with dementia. These are Daybreak Rosewood in Greater Leys, Daybreak Lilacs
in Kidlington and Daybreak Limes in North Oxford. The staff at Daybreak are committed to providing
a friendly, welcoming and stimulating environment for people living with dementia. As well as
companionship, they offer a wide variety of activities including gentle exercise programmes,
games to provide mental stimulation and music therapy. The power of music to unlock memories
and enable social interaction is an increasingly key feature of dementia care. It seems to
reach parts of the damaged brain in ways other forms of communication cannot.
We made it!
Like to get involved?
How can you get involved? Are you part of or know of a local community group
that need help? Or would you be interested in becoming an 'Active Member' on
the Kidlington & North West Oxford Regional Community Group? If you would like
to get involved then email our Community Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click our logo above to visit our website.
Please address any comments you may have about this article to:
KIDLINGTON VOICE ONLINE
• 13 Henrietta Ussher, The Children's House
• 12 Tony Bennell, Party Time!
• 11 Giles Woodforde, Magic Bellringing
• 10 Lynn Pilgrim, Heart to Heart
• 09 Marita Ferrett, Kidlington Macular Support Group
• 08 Sue Honoré, Who Were My Accestors?
• 07 Ryan Rushton, Daybreak's Fun Run
• 06 Ella Gauci, Applying for University
• 05 Robert Bullard, Using Email
• 04 Michael Watts, Two Words of Caution - Care and Patience
• 03 Alan Sowden, Keeping Your Books
• 02 Ella Gauci, Hidden Value in Kidlington's Charity Shops
• 01 Giles Woodforde, Colin Dexter's Memorial Service
Become a Kidlington Journalist
— and publish your article on KV-Online:
• Are you a writer? A story to tell?
• Publicise your community group or local business?
• Write about your own special interest?
Here's what to do
(1) Download the KV article framework from here
(2) Contact the advertising editor: email@example.com.
(3) Get your article published on Kidlington Voice Online — online locally and to the world!